Launch Your Online Store
Interested in building an online storefront using Squarespace or Shopify, both top-notch, PCI-compliant commerce hosts? I can advise you on the best platform for your business goals and budget, the best way to organize your online store and guide you through the complexities of taking your store online. Additionally, we'll think creativity about balancing your ease of use with customer-friendly checkout options, which may include integrations such as Ecwid. There are a lot of ecommerce options, and I'll guide you in developing a solution that makes good sense for your specific situation.
In each of our e-commerce projects, we develop your shop's organizational structure, all critical policies, shipping options, basic search engine optimization and general shop workflow. We can add a variety of additional options, including item descriptions, packaging advice, customer correspondence templates and more.
Don't know what you need? That's okay! Get in touch and we'll talk about your business, goals and the best options for meeting your needs. Another option is to simply schedule a one-hour consultation--you can get some good advice without any commitment beyond the hour. Want to learn more about my approach? Head over here to discover how I work.
Deciding on the right e-commerce platform can be a bit overwhelming. I wrote an extensive blog post about your options, but here's a quick rundown of what you need to know about your platform options.
Squarespace: Need to Know
- Currently only uses Stripe as the credit card processor (no PayPal)
- Is best for sites with 50 or fewer commerce items
- Is fantastic for piloting an online store if you already have a Squarespace website
Plan on using gift cards? Well, Squarespace can't handle them (yet)
There is no account management for Squarespace Commerce, though they recently improved their customer data tool for stores
Shipping options are relatively simplistic, but are just fine for stores that sell many similar products
Works very well for selling services
Can be used creatively as a catalog only without a checkout
Shopify: Need to Know
- Integrates with Stripe, PayPal and many other gateways
- Can handle very complex shops
- There are many add-ons available for Shopify--these generally come with recurring fees, however
- Customers can self-manage their purchases
- Gift cards are an issue here, too: You'll need the pricier (currently $79) plan to take advantage of that service.
Can be overkill for small shops--it may be easier to manage PayPal buttons or an Ecwid embed in Squarespace
Non-store pages are not particularly easy to layout for non-technical users